Creating Recurring Tasks
Print this Article
Email this Article
Work that is ongoing or requires staying on track of regular due dates can be created in BigTime as recurring tasks. Doing so prompts the system to automatically create these items of work, or occurrences, on the Task Dashboard with the staffer assignment and due date already populated.
When you’re ready to create recurring tasks for your firm, use this guide to help you understand the step-by-step process.
Creating Recurring Tasks: Step By Step
- Select WORKFLOW...TASK DASHBOARD on the navigation bar. This will take you to the Task Dashboard.
- Click the down arrow next to the ADD TASK button. Select ADD RECURRING from the drop-down menu.
- Input the information required for your recurring task. Required fields include: Project, Task Name, Start Date, End Date, and how often the task should be completed.
- Click SAVE to create your task. This will not only create the series of occurrences, but it will also place the very first occurrence on the Task Dashboard. The occurrence next in line will not appear until the first occurrence is completed and archived.
TIP: Start and End Dates Impact Occurrences
The start and end dates you set on the series master determine the number of occurrences that will be created for that recurring task, according to the frequency selected.
For example, if a recurring task is created with the start date of 1/1/2017, an end date of 1/1/2018, and a frequency of once monthly on the first day, then thirteen occurrences will be created with the due date falling on the first day of the month.
- I don’t have an end date for a recurring task. Do I have to enter one in order to set the frequency of each occurrence in the series? Yes. Even if you don’t have a fixed end date, you must enter a value in the End Date field. This is the only way to reveal and choose from the various frequency options for occurrences in the “How Often Should This Occur?” section.
- Is there a way to automatically renew a recurring task? Yes, there is a way to do this. Read Auto-Renewing Recurring Tasks for details.
- How do I access the series master for a recurring task? Read Viewing/Editing Recurring Tasks to help you find and edit the series master for recurring tasks.
- Can I edit an individual recurrence? Yes, you can edit a current occurrence by clicking on it from the Task Dashboard. You can also access and edit future occurrences from within the series master.