Create and Edit Basic Categories
Print this Article
Email this Article
Basic Categories is a broad category that includes three smaller categories: Categories, Expense Codes, and Invoice Terms. You’ll add values to each category, so staffers can properly use BigTime’s workflow: timesheets, expenses, and invoices. Then, staffers can:
- Categorize how they spent their time in their timesheets,
- Specify their expenses in expense entries, and
- Indicate payment details in client invoices.
NOTE: “Basic Categories” may be called “Labor Codes” or “Work Codes” depending on your lexicon settings and/or industry. To keep it simple, we’ll use “Basic Categories.”
This article will explain how to access Basic Categories. It’ll also describe its three categories and provide links to detailed articles for each.
Add and update each category under Basic Categories so staffers can properly use BigTime’s workflow.
Link the values you create with QuickBooks.
Customize the values you create. Add values that are relevant to your firm in each category. You can add as many or as few values as you’d like. Plus, some values have additional customization options, such as a description box or a box you can check to indicate an inactive value.
Access Basic Categories
To get to Basic Categories, click My Company...Field Values.
BigTime defaults to Basic Categories...Categories, which is where you want to be. Your window will look like this:
About Basic Categories
We’ll briefly describe what you can do with three categories under Basic Categories below. For detail information, click on the links at the end of this article.
- Categories: These values populate in the Categories picklist when staffers add a new timesheet entry. That way, staffers can indicate how they’re spending their time. Examples include “consultation” or “editorial.”
- Expense Codes: These values populate in the Expense Type picklist when staffers create new expense entries to denote the type of expense. If you’re invoicing out of BigTime, you’ll need to add values to Expense Codes.
- Invoice terms: These values specify to the client what percentage of an invoice is due and when.
Each category has its own article. Click on the links below to learn more about each one:
Need more details? Once you understand the basics, the articles below will take you a little deeper.