Connecting to QuickBooks Desktop
Print this Article
Email this Article
In order to synchronize with QuickBooks Desktop, the BigTime Sync Agent needs to be installed and connected to your QuickBooks file. The Sync Agent is a desktop application that resides in your system tray. It watches for any pending transactions or changes from your QuickBooks file in order to trigger a sync.
The product sync must be set up by a System Administrator. Before we begin with the step by step instructions, you will need to open your QuickBooks Desktop file under the Administrator login.
Click here to watch a video on how to connect with QuickBooks Desktop.
Note: If you move from QBD to QBO or vice versa, you will get duplicates that will need to be manually merged.
Before You Install Sync Agent
There are a few prerequisites. On the PC where you will install Sync Agent, make sure that:
- You are logged in with Windows Administrator rights.
- You have QuickBooks open as the default Administrator user.
- The QuickBooks data file that you want to sync with is open.
- There is no other QuickBooks file open.
- Click on My Company.. Integrations menu item to get started. This will take you to a list of applications that support BigTime integrations.
- Click the QUICKBOOKS DESKTOP icon in order to activate your connection to QuickBooks desktop. All of your QuickBooks desktop integration settings can be adjusted from within this integration page.
- Click the Enable link to create a private cloud where QuickBooks data will be encrypted and stored. This is the mechanism BigTime uses to enable remote sync with your QBW file.
Click Grant within the confirmation window that pops up on screen. This is where you give Sync Agent permission to access your QuickBooks data (per our Terms of Service and revocable at any time).
- After enabling QuickBooks, install Sync Agent by running the MSI file that is downloaded onto your computer. When you run it, the installation process will begin automatically.
- Click BEGIN once the installer completes. This will allow you to link Sync Agent to your local QBW file.
- Enter your BigTime Administrator username and password. And then click the Login button in order to connect Sync Agent to the BigTime system.
- Click CONNECT once you are logged in. Make sure that you are logged into the QBW file that you'd like to sync with as the file's admin. If you do, you'll be asked to grant Sync Agent access to your QBW file's data.
Click Yes, Always Allow in the QuickBooks confirmation dialog. This will let BigTime sync with the QBW file even if you aren't logged in. Note that you'll want to specify the user login the system should use if you support mutli-user access to the QBW file.
Once you're done, you can click click CONTINUE at the bottom of this page.
- You’re all set!
When the installation finishes, click anywhere outside the Sync Agent window to close it.
Sync Agent will take it from here! But if you want to keep tabs on what it's up to, just click the Sync Agent icon in your system tray and then click the link to your QuickBooks data file.
Need more details? Once you understand the basics, the articles below will take you a little deeper.